The ANZ Bank building, 86 Napier Street, St. Arnaud, makes a significant architectural and visual contribution to the Victorian and Federation streetscape. This building was constructed in 1889 for the London Chartered Bank to a Domestic Gothic design by the Melbourne architectural firm of Oakden, Addison and Kemp. In 1921, the London Chartered Bank amalgamated with the ES & A Bank, and in 1970 it became the ANZ Bank, with this building becoming a branch of the ANZ Bank in 1988. The building is in good condition and apart from the verandah and balcony is relatively intact.
The ANZ Bank building is architecturally significant at a LOCAL level. It demonstrates design qualities of an unusual Victorian Domestic Gothic style. These qualities include the symmetrical two storey composition, face red brick wall construction, hipped roof form clad in slate tiles, hipped balcony roof form, pointed central ground floor doorway with projecting drip mould and transom, two pairs of single, timber framed double hung windows having elliptical (almost pointed) arches and striking rendered voussoirs, white rendered stringcourses at sill and window head levels, projecting ground floor pilaster door surrounds, brick plinths, timber framed and glazed, double first floor door openings with transom lights, unpainted red brick chimneys with corbelled cream brick tops, narrow eaves and the terracotta ridge decoration on the roof.
The ANZ Bank building is historically significant at a LOCAL level. It is associated with the development of the London Chartered Bank in St. Arnaud from 1889, and with the ES & A Bank from 1921. In 1970, this bank merged to become the ANZ bank, which occupied this building from 1988. This building also has associations with the Melbourne architectural firm of Oakden, Addison and Kemp.
The ANZ Bank building is socially significant at a LOCAL level. It is recognised by the St. Arnaud community as having public value as a financial institution in the town.
Overall, the ANZ Bank building is of LOCAL significance.