The Salvation Army Citadel, 50 Main Street, Stawell, makes a significant contribution to the architectural amenity of Stawell. It was constructed in 1934 for the Salvation Army and is largely intact on the exterior.
The Salvation Army Citadel is architecturally significant at a LOCAL level. It demonstrates original design qualities of an interwar Free Classical style. These qualities include the single storey height, symmetrical composition, unpainted brick construction, stepped parapetted gable and the gable roof form. Other intact qualities include the main gable end with its projecting central bay and terminating broad, stepped piers having incised darker brick construction, rectangular panels and vertical recessions, projecting stringcourses, square reliefs and soldier course cappings. Further intact qualities are identified by the projecting central vestigial pilasters capped with soldier course cappings, pedimented drip mould, central arched drip mould, "The Salvation Army Citadel" title, blind oculi window, 8 paned double hung windows with segmentally arched darker brick voussoirs and sills, darker brick base, flanking, parapetted and flat roof side porches, and the galvanised iron ventilation stacks on the roof.
The Salvation Army Citadel is historically significant at LOCAL level. The site is associated with Stawell Corps from 1886 when a Mrs. Butt donated the land to the Salvation Army. Established in Stawell in May 1884, this building has associations with the Salvation Army from 1934, when it was constructed under the leadership of Major and Mrs. Wilkinson who were then in charge of the Stawell Corps.
The Salvation Army Citadel is socially significant at a LOCAL level. It is recognised and valued by the Stawell community for religious and cultural reasons.
Overall, the Salvation Army Citadel is of LOCAL significance.
Salvation Army Citadel, 50 Main Street, STAWELL - Physical Description 1
The Salvation Army Citadel building dominates its site at 50 Main Street, Stawell. It is surrounded by commercial buildings.
The symmetrical, single storey, unpainted brick, interwar Free Classical styled Salvation Army Citadel is characterised by a parapetted gable roof form. The symmetry of the design is identified in the main gable end elevation, which has a central bay and terminating broad, stepped piers having incised darker brick construction, rectangular panels and vertical recessions, projecting stringcourses, square reliefs and soldier course cappings. The central bay is flanked by projecting vestigial pilasters capped with soldier course cappings, with a pedimented drip mould above. The central bay is further accentuated by the stepped gable parapet. The glazed double door openings are introduced and have a fanlight window above. This window is accentuated by an arched drip mould. The upper reaches of the central bay contains the sign "The Salvation Army Citadel". Above the central bay is a blind oculi window.
Flanking the central bay are 8 paned double hung windows with segmentally arched darker brick voussoirs and sills. The building rests on a darker brick base. The rear of the building has flanking, parapetted and flat roof side porches with introduced doors.
The gable roof is has galvanised iron roof vents near the ridge. A pole crowns the left front pier.