Mary Card's Cottage has high local significance as the home built in 1908 for the world-famous crochet designer, who lived in Olinda off and on until her death in 1940. The five Card sisters were prominent Olinda residents.
Mary Card's Cottage is set back from the Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, hidden by a high paling fence and a hedge of mature trees and shrubs. The garden includes a number of mature indigenous and imported trees, laid out in a formal design. Two buildings are located on the property; the historic timber cottage dating from the turn of the century and a stone building, dating from 1991, sited close to the southern boundary.
The cottage is a rectangular plan, single storey timber building with a gable end corrugated iron roof. The house is partially elevated to accommodate the gentle slope of the site, and includes recent changes to incorporate a attic level within the roof space. The front facade has a raised timber verandah with timber floor and posts. The central posts extend beyond the verandah roof to support a small balcony at attic level. The verandah balustrade has simple, vertical timber struts.
The ground floor front facade is delineated by centrally located steps and double doors, which are flanked by timber framed, double hung, diamond pane windows. The attic level has a centrally located door and multi-pane sidelight windows with moulded surrounds.
The south facade is delineated by two tall, plainly detailed, red brick chimneys and a recent gable roofed, dormer window at attic level. This addition is mirrored on the north facade, which also includes a recent timber bay window to the ground floor. A new balcony at attic level extends from the rear facade.
Mary Card's Cottage is associated with Place No. 113.