The Farm Complex at 3105 Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Road, Balliang East.
How is it significant?
The Farm Complex at 3105 Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Road, Balliang East is of local historical and aesthetic significance to the Shire of Moorabool.
Why is it significant?
The Farm Complex at 3105 Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Road, Balliang East is of local historical significance for its demonstration of the early settlement of Balliang and as part of the Staughton Vale Estate. Balliang was created in 1908 when the Victorian Government acquired 9,838 acres from the pastoralist, S. F. Staughton and subdivided the land for closer settlement. This allotment on the Staughton Vale Estate was leased to George Davis on 1 January 1908. The property is of historical significance for demonstrating the elements and workings of one of the more successful farms in the area growing wheat, oats and barley. A substantial Edwardian weatherboard dwelling was erected on the site in 1912, and a barn and stables were erected at a similar time.
The Farm Complex at 3105 Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Road, Balliang East is of aesthetic significance as an intact example of an Edwardian farm complex containing a substantial Edwardian style dwelling, as well as, stables and barn. The farmhouse is of aesthetic significance as an intact Victorian Italianate farmhouse demonstrating key characteristics of the style including the tall gambrel roof form, gable wings at the rear of the two sides, diagonal floor planning with a v-shaped return verandah terminating at the side wings, timber rail valance to the skillion verandah, and paired timber framed windows with hoods.
An Edwardian timber farmhouse built in 1908, on land formerly leased from the Staughton Vale Estate.
It is of local historical significance as representing the way of life of a leasehold small farmer before the First World War. It is also of architectural significance as a relatively intact Edwardian farmhouse with some contextual elements, such asoutbuildings, orchard and fence .
A characteristic triple-fronted high hip-roofed Edwardian timber house. The left-hand and right side rear bays are set forward as gable s, with their timbered upper sections jettying. Their windows are pairs, at left with a hood. The skillion verandah extends around the angle, with a catenary rail timber valance. Chimneys have rendered bands, not pots. There are outbuildings, in front is an orchard, v - profile picket fence and mature cypress at the entrance.