A two-storey early brick hotel, built in stages between 1850 and 1936, latterly in the Old English style. The 1850 section presumably still survives. It was from here that in 1851, James Watt established the first coaching service in Victoria, from Melbourne to Ballarat. The first meeting of municipal government in Bacchus Marsh, the Board, was held here in 1856. The Border Inn is of state historical significance as a pioneering pre-gold rush building, on the route to the Ballarat goldfields. It is the representative-embodiment of several historical periods and their way of life. It demonstrates a complex changing sequence of patterns of occupancy and architectural styles. Its development at this location, demonstrates the effect of a social movement, the gold rush, as a transport stopover.It is also historically significant for its association with the first rural public transport in Victoria.
Locally, the hotel is significance for its association with the first meeting of municipal government, and also for its social significance as a traditional community, visitor focus and meeting place.
Good. The building continues to develop over time as needs change, but these are comparatively minor alterations. All Edwardian windows have been replaced and ground floor window openings lowered to floor level.
Hotel (Flanagans Border Inn) - Physical Description 1
A two-storey hotel developed over almost 145 years, most recently in the Old English style. It presents 7 bays to Main Street: the end pairs of bays project, with a double-storied timber verandah between, and a splayed comer. The ground floor verandah has a latticed valance over curved transoms with drilled decoration (now obscured). The first floor has small timber brackets and balustrade.
The first floor of each end bay jettys forward some 750mm on joists and quadrant curved brackets in pairs and at the corner over the splay. These wings are timbered at first floor, with weatherboards and vent in the upper gables . First floor windows, of the centre bays have nineteenth century architrave moulds, with 12-pane double-hung sashes. All of the ground floor, is masonry, rendered and ruled ashlar. The timbering returns along the Graham Street front with a skillion matching canopy over the entry on decorative brackets. The eaves generally have exposed rafters, except the two storey nineteenth century section, visible at rear, which has Italianate eaves bracket pairs, a deeply moulded chimney and a slate roof. 7One small outbuilding is also nineteenth century. No particular interiors survive, apparently.
7 This is a remnant of how the front once appeared following the 1863 alterations.