An early, pre-gold rush Catholic cemetery and chapel established in 1850-51, which closed in 1941, with the ruins of an early Catholic chapel and school, which closed in 1874. The cemetery was the earliest established in the Catholic Diocese of Melbourne. The chapel was the first Catholic church in Bacchus Marsh.
The complex is of regional historical significance as a representative embodiment of the way of life in the early settlement and for its association with religious and educational developments in community life which are pioneering to the locality and in the case of the cemetery, the earliest in the State.
It is of regional architectural significance as an example of a relatively intact surviving early cemetery and of scientific significance in demonstrating potential for archaeological research.