Designed by architect Harry Winbush in 1940-41, the former MFB fire station at 135-137 Belford Road, Kew is of local historical and architectural significance. It is a good, representative and externally intact example of a large suburban fire station of the late interwar period, which demonstrates its original use through the retention of details such as the central flagpole and MFB crest, but also through its overall form. Architecturally, the building stands as a good example of the Modernism dominant in smaller and medium-sized institutional buildings in Melbourne by 1940-1, Winbush's design comparing favourably with contemporary Seabrook and Fildes and Percy Everett designs. It is distinguished by a plainness and elegance in its massing and detailing which sets it aside from earlier Streamlined Moderne treatments, and is a key example in Boroondara of Modern architecture of the period.
The former Kew Fire Station is a large interwar building of face red brick construction designed around an elongated rectangular plan. The breakfronted parapeted facade is characterized by Modern styling and an essentially symmetrical design, and comprises three bays, with a central bay which projects out and up from the flanking bays. This central element (originally housing the engine bays) is further articulated by a dentilled cornice, concrete fins and rendered spandrel panel above the original engine bay doors (which survive, albeit with new window and wall insertions within the openings). A flagpole and crest distinguish the building's original use, however the lettering 'metropolitan fire brigade' has been removed from beneath the flagpole. The principal elevation is relieved by bands of ribbed Manganese brickwork which define the bands of fenestration. Secondary elevations are in plain red face brick. A pair of pedestrian entrances screened by concrete hoods flank the central bay and provide access to glazed stair halls. Fenestration is generally repetitive between floors with grouped, and window openings containing timber-framed double-hung multi-paned sashes.
The front and side boundaries have low brick walls contemporary with the building and later steel and timber fences. The letterboxes and screen planting to the main entrance date from the conversion of the building for residential use, however the building is otherwise externally intact as viewed from the street.