The Dolls House, probably built in the 1880s after an 1870s subdivision, is believed to be the smallest extant house in Victoria. It consists of two rooms and is only 8 feet 6 incheswide. It was occupied until 1978.
How is it significant?
The Dolls House is of historical significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it Significant?
The Dolls House is of historical significance as an extraordinary example of a house built in the inner suburbs of Melbourne before the implementation of strict planning and building controls. The Dolls House has a strong association with the history of the working class in Victoria, providing evidence of the living conditions experienced by slum dwellers in an urban industrial environment. The Dolls House is historically significant through its association with the slum clearance movement of the early 20th century. In particular, the house was referred to in the report of the Housing Investigation and Slum Abolition Board, 1937. The findings of this report had important implications for housing reform in Victoria and led to the establishment of the Housing Commission.
Originally located in Islington Street, Collingwood, the house now stands in the grounds of Collingwood College.
This tiny two roomed cottage was built in the mid 1870s at 130 Islington Street to house local workers and their families. It was included in the Housing Investigation and Slum Abolition report, 1937, but remained a home for another 40 years. The Education Department bought the land in 1978 for Collingwood College and the cottage was relocated.