[Deborah Conservation Area] Deborah and North Deborah
Significance: The area contains the two major sites on the Deborah line of reef which were responsible for the revival of mining on Bendigo in the 1930s.
Significance: Gold in payable quantities was first found on the Deborah line of reef at this site which, although worked at various times since 1860, is now representative of the workings of one of the larger companies during the 1930's mining revival period. The site is reserved for mining, it contains a relatively intact range of artefacts, is easily accessible, is visible from Chum Hill and from the North Deborah site, and has views both to the Deborah and Central Deborah sites and to Chum Hill.
Deborah Company Quartz Gold Mine - Physical Description 2
Artefacts: Steel poppet head with tubular legs 34 feet apart which still retains some wooden framing. The three compartment shaft is partly visible. 30 meters to the south of the shaft are well preserved concrete winding engine beds associated with machine made brick rubble. 7 metres east of the winding engine beds there is a concrete workshop floor which contains several concrete mounting pads. To the north of the workshop, and extending alongside the east side of the shaft is the concrete floor of the battery house, containing foundations for four battery boxes and pads and supports for concentrating tables and other machinery. What remains of the tailings dump are contained on the allotment on the opposite side of the road.