Part of Recommended Area A1.4.No SoS provided in this citation. Please refer to descriptions, history, construction, loc govt, listings and images sections in this place record for further information.
This is the third Post Office constructed on or near this site. This building was designed by the Public Works Department in two stages. The principal building facing Sturt Street was opened On 29 November 1864. The Lydiard Street section, (formerly Public Offices) and tower was commenced in 1885.
Subsequent alterations have occurred: the colonnade on the south 'facade was filled in by 1912 & the ramps to the central entrance changed to two ramps serving the two end openings, which were also modified.
The building is constructed in two sections. The earlier Sturt Street building of 1864 is an Italianate composition with arcuated windows at ground floor level and square headed windows to the upper floor. The hipped roof is broken by a series of projecting cylindrical roof vents. This design is echoed in the later Lydiard street section of 1885 which includes a carriageway entrance with the tower above. The tower introduced other design elements, particularly the northern European Renaissance dormer windows and roof.
The building is generally intact with the exception of the removal of the slate and iron ridging from the roof, the various alterations to the Sturt Street facade, and the unsympathetic paint work. The building is important as a complex designed by the Public Works Department and is a major streetscape element in an important location.