The Protestant Hall and Meeting Rooms were erected on the site of the Wesleyan Chapel in Geelong (established 1842) in 1888-1889 for the Protestant lodges of Geelong. Joseph Watts, Architect, designed the two storey dichromatic brick building in a conservative eclectic Victorian style with the ground floor devoted to a suite of offices and the upper floor for lodge meeting rooms. The building has interesting association with a number of long established Protestant lodges in Geelong and is a prominent element in the Yarra Street precinct of the city.
RECOMMENDATIONS: PROTECTIVE MEASURES
Geelong Regional Commission Register.
Geelong Advertiser - 6 May 1889 description of the Protestant Hall and offices.
Graham J Ball - "Shadows on the Wall", Deakin University Geelong, 1983, pp. 111-112.
Brownhill, W. R. - A History of Geelong and Corio Bay, Wilke & Co., Melbourne, 1955, p. 168.
Geelong Historical Society Investigator - Vol 17, No 4, December 1982, p.106