St Leonards Primary School was built in 1910 in Federation style of brick construction and has remained relatively unaltered. It is now located within a complex of school buildings.
St Leonards Primary School is of social and historic value to the local St Leonards community
It has been the only local educational facility for the St Leonards community for over 120 years. St Leonards Primary School of 1910 is the second school on this site. The earlier weatherboard oneroom building opened in 1874 served the small and modest farming and fishing communities at St Leonards, Murradoc and Paywit North. The brick building of 1910 represented the more established nature of St Leonards after the turn of the century.
It is of LOCAL cultural significance .
Blake, L. (1973) Vision and Realisation , p.996 .
ibid p. 1022
Wynd, 1.1988 Ballawein a history of the Shire of Bellarine, p.116