The Newtown and Chilwell Fire Station was established in 1859 and operated from weatherboard premises in Pakington Street until 1884 when the structure was removed and a new brick fire station and tower was erected. Local municipal surveyor and architect, RS Tuffs, designed the original poly-chromatic brick building in a Lombardic Romanesque style and Charles Mills was the builder. The tower is a noted local landmark and unfortunately the strong brickwork patterns have been painted out. The buildings have interesting association with the fire brigade history in Geelong.
RECOMMENDATIONS: PROTECTIVE MEASURES
Geelong Regional Commission Register.
CS Walker - The Earlier Days of Newtown and Chilwell, 1958, p.35. Description of Newtown Fire Station.
WR Brownhill - The History of Geelong and Corio Bay.
Wilke and Co Ltd, Melbourne, 1855, o249 - description of Newtown Fire Station - discrepancy in contract price ₤325.
G. Seaton - The Ashby Story - A History of Geelong West.
1978 Adams Printers P/L Geelong, p. 144.
RS Tuff was surveyor for Borough of Geelong West from 1896-1908.
Geelong Advertiser -
15 January, 1884, report of resolution of fire brigade to build a new brick fire station for Newtown and Chilwell Fire Brigade.
15 January, 1884, renders for removal of wooden building.
19 January, 1884, tender for erection of a new building for Newtown and Chilwell Fire Brigade - RS Tuffs, Architect.