BoroondaraCemetery is an historic site of significance to Kew,that contains monuments of wider significance. Four monuments within the cemetery have been designated assignificant structures (mainly on architectural grounds), however the cemetery's significance lies in its overall intact state and the historic nature of many of the graves within it, and for its proximity to Victoria Park.
Boroondara Cemetery, Cussen Memorial - Physical Description 1
Originally set aside for reserve purposes, a portion of a triangle of land situated almost in the centre of Kew, was proclaimed the Boroondara Cemetery in 1859 [2 ]. The planning of the cemetery was carried out by J.F. Higgins of the Lands Department [3 ] and the first burial, at what was later to become one of Melbourne's historic landmarks, noted particularly for its memorials, took place on 12 March 1859 [4 ].
Sir Leo Finn Bernard Cussen (1859-1933) advocate and judge, and a member of the Victorian Supreme Court in 1906 [5 ] died at his Hawthorn home in 1933 [6 ]. The memorial built for him is one of the larger and more successful in the cemetery. It is built in the gothic and is executed in freestone. It has the form of a diminutive chapel, and while the interior was given no embellishment, the carvings, diamond shaped roof tiles and decorated ridge, all serve to embellish the exterior.
1 Green, J. and Stewart, J., Boroondara, a Place of Shade, 1980, p.2
2 Bamard, F.G.A., The Jubilee History of Kew, p.l04
5 Australian Dictionary of Biography, Vol. 8 - 1891-1939, pp.184-185