What is significant?
The bluestone weir is located about 150 metres northeast of the Hamilton-Port Fairy Road at North Byaduk. The structure, dating from after 1857, is built of dressed bluestone, and reveals a high level of skill in the stone masonry. It consists of two stone piers on either side of a narrow gully, with a stepped stone wall of approximately 2 metres in height. The width of the structure is about 2 metres. The ground behind the weir is solid, suggesting that the gully has silted up over the years to the height of the weir wall. The weir retains a high level of integrity and is in good condition.
How is it significant?
The bluestone weir at North Byaduk is of historical, architectural and scientific significance to the district of Byaduk and the Southern Grampians Shire..
Why is it significant?
The bluestone weir at North Byaduk is of historical significance as an example of early water management. It is of further historical significance for its associations with Edward Stephens, resident of North Byaduk, who was responsible for some of the finest stone masonry in the Hamilton district. It is of architectural significance for its excellent stone masonry. It is of scientific interest as a sophisticated attempt at hydraulic engineering in the nineteenth century.