23354 Catholic Convent Former 73 Watton St Penshurst 0920
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - December 16, 2003
What is significant?
The single storey bluestone house at 73 Watton Street, Penshurst was built in about 1880. By the early twentieth century, the Chesswas family owned it. They had moved to Penshurst from Richmond in 1871 and became storekeepers, living in the former National School opposite their store in Bell Street. In 1945, the Sisters of Mercy purchased the house and established it as a convent. The nuns taught at the St Joseph's primary school in Martin Street until 1975. Since then, the house has been owned and occupied by the O'Brien family. It is in good condition and retains a fair degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
The former Catholic convent at 73 Watton Street, Penshurst is of historical significance to the Southern Grampians Shire and to the township of Penshurst.
Why is it significant?
The former convent is of historical significance generally as a residence in the township and specifically for its use between 1945 and 1975 as the residence of the sisters of Mercy who ran the primary school at St Joseph's Catholic Church complex.