What is significant?
The Mooralla Civic Buildings Memorial is located in the roadside reserve on East West Road outside the site of the former Uniting Church. The memorial is a bronze plaque mounted on a large rock, erected in about 1998 by members of the local community. The inscription records the lost public buildings which were located in the immediate vicinity of the memorial, and which formed the community hub of the former village of Mooralla.
How is it significant?
The Mooralla Civic Buildings Memorial is of historical significance to the community of Mooralla and Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The Mooralla Civic Buildings Memorial is historically significant as a permanent record of the demolished civic buildings of the former village of Mooralla. The erection of the memorial is significant as a reflection of the commitment of the local community to preserve the memory of its historic environment.
MOORALLA CIVIC BUILDINGS MEMORIAL - Physical Description 1
The Mooralla Civic Buildings Memorial is a cast bronze plaque, mounted on a large Grampians sandstone rock. The memorial has been placed outside the site of the former Mooralla Uniting Church, now demolished, in the centre of the abandoned village. The inscription reads:
'Former Location of Mooralla Facilities
Uniting Church Formerly Methodist 1873-1988
State School No 1835 1877-1977
Soldiers Memorial Hall 1922-1979
Tennis Courts 1908-1972
Golf Course 1930-1961'
The only remnant of the former Uniting Church is the wrought iron front gate, mounted between two wooden posts, and a hairpin crinkle wire fence extending along the front of the site.
The site of the former Soldiers Memorial hall, immediately to the west of the church, is vacant, except for a wrought iron gate and a pair of rendered brick gate posts. An historic plaque is mounted on the east gate post to commemorate the death of a local resident in World War 2. The inscription reads, 'Erected by residents of Mooralla in memory of Flt Sgt. John S Thomson who lost his life on 6th April 1945 in World War II at the age of 21 years.'
The State School was located on land reserved by the Crown in 1888 diagonally opposite the Soldiers Memorial Hall, on the south west corner of East West Road and Greenaway Road. The site is now covered with a mature grove of predominantly Pinus radiata, which was planted when the school was relocated further east along East West Road in 1933. Two large carved gateposts and an iron gate survive in Greenaway Road.