What is significant?
Ballantrae is a single storey symmetrical brick house constructed in the early 1920s, thought to be between 1920-21, by James and Johanna O'Rourke. Ballantrae is located on land which was once part of the original Bushy Creek run and later the Glenronald run. Glenronald Estate was subdivided for closer settlement in 1919, when seventeen allotments (of between 350-450 acres) were allocated to soldiers who had returned from World War One. Allotment 26a, where Ballantrae stands is not mentioned in this subdivision and, in the following year, James Malachy O'Rourke and his wife, Johanna had taken possession of the land as part of their much larger 2,555 acre landholding. In the mid 1930s, the property passed into the Heard family, who still retain ownership. The house was extended before the Second World War. As yet, no architect or builder has been identified with the construction of the house. Its bricks would have come from the nearby Glenthompson brickworks. The house is in very good condition and retains a high degree of integrity. The garden setting contributes to the house but is not significant in its own right.
How is it significant?
The house is of some historical and architectural significance, but is not of sufficient significance to justify its inclusion on the local planning scheme.
Why is it significant?
Ballantrae is of historical significance for its association with nearby pastoral runs of Glenronald and Bushy Creek of which it was once a part. More importantly, it is of historical significance after the First World War for its association with the local O'Rourke and Heard families who have played an important part in the local community. Ballantrae is of architectural significance as an example of the Arts and Crafts style loosely applied to the bungalow form, which is unusual in the area.