What is significant?
Pleasant View is located in Petschel's Lane, approximately seven kilometers north east of the township of Tabor. The house is a single storey asymmetrical house dating from the early Interwar period, although old fashioned in its style. The house is constructed, unusually, from non load bearing pressed cement blocks, which simulate bluestone. The land on which the house stands was first owned by John A. MacPherson (MLA and Premier of Victoria 1868-9) who settled in the area in the late 1850s, and later went on to purchase nearby Croxton. The property has had a long association with the Matuschka family. There has been no architect or builder associated with the design. The house is in good condition and retains a fair degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
Pleasant View is of historical and architectural significance to the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
Pleasant View is of historical significance for its early associations with John A. MacPherson, an important figure in the history of the Hamilton district, and in the Victorian Legislative Assembly. Pleasant View is of architectural significance because, on the one hand, its form, plan and style are conventional, and even old fashioned, for the period but, on the other, it is an early use of pressed cement blocks as the main construction material and it is an excellent and unusual example of a pressed cement block homestead.