The Presbyterian Church and Hall, 9 Linton-Mannibadar Road, Linton are located on high ground on the south-east side of the town. The main church was commenced in 1884 and was designed in a simple restrained Gothic Revival style using typical materials for its time. The designer was probably Alexander Tyers, a young surveyor and engineer from St Kilda. The present church replaced an earlier timber church which was relocated to site in 1881 to be used as a hall, which survives. Mature Pinus radiata (Monterey Pines) surround the site and an extensive range of specimen pines and other conifers are planted in front of the churches. This pinetum is probably one of the most extensive associated with a church in Victoria. Both buildings are largely intact although the hall has been altered and extended. They retain a high degree of integrity and they are in good condition. The Linton Presbyterian Charge is now administered from Skipton. Following unification the property became redundant and was sold. The two buildings have been converted into a residence.
How is it Significant?
The Former Presbyterian Church and Hall, Linton are of historical, architectural, social and scientific significance to the Golden Plains Shire.
Why is it Significant?
The Former Presbyterian Church and Hall, Linton are of historical significance as a relatively late goldfields church complex, reflecting the continuing prosperity of the Linton district into the late nineteenth century. The church is of social significance for reflecting the relative wealth and sense of community of the Catholics in the area. The hall is of social significance for representing the fellowship functions of the congregation including the teaching of Sunday School. The church is of architectural significance for its conservative use of the ubiquitous Gothic Revival style. The trees planted in the grounds, including the perimeter plantings, are of scientific and aesthetic significance as one of the best examples of a pinetum in the Shire and possibly in the state.