What is significant?
The Cavendish State School No. 116 is located on the State School Reserve, on the southern half of Section 8, bound by Barker, Chirnside and Cameron Streets, 2 blocks south of the centre of the township. The use of the site as a school dates from 1852, when James Brake started a boarding school, sometimes referred to as the Wannon School. Later school buildings were constructed towards the end of the nineteenth century, but were mostly demolished when the current building was constructed in 1963. A small portion of one of the late nineteenth century buildings survives as the core of the 1963 structure. The buildings and school complex are in very good condition, and retain a high degree of integrity from the 1963 construction period. The earliest sections which are within the modern school retain limited integrity.
How is it significant?
The Cavendish State School No. 116 is of historical and social significance to the community of Cavendish and to the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The Cavendish State School No. 116 is of historic significance as the expression of the Byaduk North community's struggle for education, and for its association with 150 years of continuous provision of education from this site. It is of further historical significance for one of the earliest school sites in the Southern Grampians Shire. It is of social significance as an educational and social the focus for the community for over 150 years.