SIGNIFICANCE: Expression of the care for the elderly within the Lutheran congregation and a consolidation of its position within the broader community. Important regional architects responsible for other contemporary work.
Eventide Lutheran Homes
The Eventide Lutheran Homes are the expression of the care for the elderly within the Lutheran congregation and the consolidation of its position within broader community. They were built in 1959 to the design of Messrs W J T Walter and B Auty who were important Warrnambool architects responsible for other contemporary work. Their major work at this time was Walter House at 169 Gray Street. Both were designed in a post World War Two interpretation of the International style. The Lutheran community has always been strong in the Hamilton district and it was from this base that much secondary migration took place in the later nineteenth century. The construction of a new church in the town, the establishment of the Homes and of the Lutheran school all represent the consolidation after the two World Wars of the fourth and fifth generations. The Homes are well within the philanthropic tradition of almshouses, both the secular and religiously based. The building is significantly intact and is in excellent condition. The Homes are enhanced by a well maintained contemporary garden.