ANZ Bank, built as an E.S.&A Bank in 1925, is significant to Cardinia Shire as a major commercial building associated with a boom period in Garfield, one of the shire's most prosperous timber towns at that time. The bank is significant, also, as an important element in the Garfield commercial streetscape which dates predominantly from the 1920s. The two-storey clinker brick and stucco bank building with a residence on the upper level, has significance for its near original exterior. The inclusion of the residence is significant as an illustration of the lifestyle of a country bank manager.
This is a two-storey clinker brick and stucco bank building (including residence on the upper level) with Greek/Georgian revival stylistic treatment including the hipped and tiled roof, Doric order colonettes at the main window opening, saltire cross glazing mullions, expressed voussoirs over the two doorways, smooth rustication in the central window, the 8-panel door pair, the bayed symmetrical elevation and the multi-pane glazing.
The bank is externally near original except for the added signs and the new glazed doors to one opening.
The bank is a major element in the Garfield commercial streetscape which dates predominantly from the bank era.