Gembrook Union, later Uniting Church, opened in March 1879, is of significance to the Cardinia Shire as one of the earliest district church buildings. The simple, gabled Gothic Revival timber church (with an added porch) has historical significance for its associations with the Rev. Dr. J.E. Bromby, who provided the land and a plan for the combined church and school. Bromby, who was first headmaster at Melbourne Grammar School, planned the Gembrook church on innovative Union principles where Church of England, Presbyterian and Wesleyan Ministers were welcome. The Gembrook church is significant also as a local landmark and a community meeting-place for more than 120 years.