The house at 2 Exford Road, Melton South, has significance as intact example of an interwar Bungalow style. The house was originally built in Diggers Rest c.1929, and moved to its present location c.1939-40. The house appears to be in good condition when viewed from the street.
The house at 2 Exford Road is architecturally significant at a LOCAL level (AHC D.2, E.1). It demonstrates original design qualities of an interwar Bungalow style. These qualities include the hipped roof form that traverses the site, together with gable roof forms that project at the front and side (towards the rear) that are linked by the flat roofed porch. Other intact or appropriate qualities include the asymmetrical composition, single storey height, unpainted galvanised corrugated steel roof cladding, horizontal timber weatherboard wall cladding, face brick chimney with a soldier course top, wide eaves, timber brackets supporting the projecting gable ends, projecting flat roofed faceted bay windows under the projecting gables, timber framed double hung windows, face brick corner porch pier and the timber shingling, small timber brackets and oval timber ventilation openings in the gable ends.
The house at 2 Exford Road is historically significant at a LOCAL level (AHC B2, H1) for its association with the Robinson Brothers chaff mills in both Diggers Rest and Melton South. It is a rare surviving place directly associated with the highly important hay and chaff industries in the region, Melton chaff being regarded as the best in Australia. As all of the chaff mills having since burnt down this is the perhaps the only remaining building associated with the industry in the Shire.
Overall, the house at 2 Exford Road is of LOCAL significance