Providence House, and the former Sunday School (rear) are of significance to the Cardinia Shire as a remaining example of the many guest houses that were once major features of Cockatoo and other resort areas in the Shire. The house dates from 1922 and was built by the Presbyterian Church as a holiday home for mothers and children. The associated garden ( plans of which survive) also has significance and is believed to date from the 1920s.
PROVIDENCE HOUSE, FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL - Physical Description 1
This hipped roofed, Federation Bungalow style weatherboarded and verandahed former guest house, is sited on the hillside at the south-west corner of Dorchester Road in a mature mainly exotic garden. The roof is clad with corrugated iron and the verandah which covers three sides of the house has a slatted balustrade (incomplete).
There is a gabled weatherboarded former Sunday school at the rear (shifted) which retains some early external colours, a trussed gable end and gabled porch entry and an added weatherboard skillion which was used as a residence.
The garden includes tree ferns, hydrangeas, and a very large English oak in the rear.