The mill was arguably the largest in the area and operated for the longest time. It was installed by the Russell family, who were instrumental in opening up this part of the region for sawmilling purposes. It was located at the terminus of a steel line tramway worked by a steam locomotive, which illustrated an unusual level of sophistication for sawmilling in this region and Victoria generally. The mill remains are substantial, however apart from the dug out are not exceptional. The mill is typical of an arrangement and technology that was employed in the Ash forests of Victoria prior to 1940.
Russell's `Big Mill' (number 1) is of importance to the Cardinia Shire because it provides good evidence of the development of sawmilling in the district and the occurrence of natural disasters (fire).
This place is also significant for its comparative age and the potential to interpret the site historically using documentary evidence via photographs, Forestry files, and oral evidence from the family. There is also the importance of the Russell family in sawmilling within the Shire; and its rarity as a type among other surviving timber tramways and bush mill sites.