This 1940s Toorak residence has state architectural significance as a fine example of ' the experimentation in geometric forms carried out in Melbourne at this time as a result of the influence of the International style precedent in Europe. The irregularly shaped comer block is partly bordered by a granite fence that matches the pilasters in the side entrance and contributes to the design significance of the site. The house has research value related to its possible association with the architect Harry Norris, one of the major Melbourne practitioners of this style. The residence has state historical importance as the home of the Victorian businessman, G. J. Coles, over a long time.
The building's design is geometric in form. Smooth rendered brick walls rise to form a plain parapet, which conceals the flat roof of the basically rectangular structure. The windows, which puncture the walls, are uniform depth but vary in width and placement. A constant sill height and a continuous projecting horizontal hood link the fenestration and provide an appearance of uniformity to the facade. Strips of glass bricks, a popular design feature at this time, are employed and also form a bay to the north of the building. At ground floor level the northern facade curves away to the west creating a roof garden. The 'ocean liner' image is evoked in this form and is reminiscent of the luxurious Burnham Beeches residence in Sassafras, designed by Norris in 1930.1 The building occupies an irregularly shaped comer block partly bordered by a granite fence, matching the pilasters in the side entrance.
Apperly, R., R. Irving and P. ReynoldsIdentifying Australian Architecture, p. 184.