What is significant? The Hedley Public Hall, designed by Mr Dossiter and constructed by Parry & Summers in 1912 at South Gippsland Highway, Hedley.
Why is it significant? The Hedley Public Hall is of local historic, social and aesthetic and social significance to the district of Hedley.
Historically and socially, it has played an important part in the development of the Hedley community and is an integral part of the identity of the local area. (AHC criteria - A.4, D.2 and G.1)
Aesthetically, although altered it is one of the better examples of small rural halls erected at this time in the Shire and, together with the adjacent Church, expresses the historic focus of the Hedley township. (AHC criterion - E.1)
The Hedley Public Hall is a rectangular timber gabled hall formerly clad in weatherboards, but now over clad in brick. A substantial low pitched gable brick extension has been added at the front and west side (c. 1970), leaving only the gable end of the original hall visible above its roof. This has a close spaced ladder frame above an arched rail with a flagpole finial at the ridge. The design of this element suggests that an originally interesting building may have been lost under the recent cladding and extensions.
The Hall is situated between the Anglican Church of the Transfiguration (to the East - see separate citation) and the site of the Hedley State School (to the West).