The Ivanhoe Metropolitan Fire Station is the earliest surviving example of a fire station design by prolific architects Oakden and Ballantyne, and one of the earliest metropolitan stations. The building is substantially intact externally.
IVANHOE METROPOLITAN FIRE BRIGADE STATION - Historical Australian Themes
The Ivanhoe Metropolitan Fire Brigade Station was constructed in response to the rapid expansion of Heidelberg and Ivanhoe after the extension of the railway in 1901. It was one of many stations erected by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade in the first half of the 20th century and one of two fire brigade stations in the City of Banyule designed by notable 20th century architects, the other being the Rosanna Fire Brigade Station.(Percy Everett)
As architects to the Metropolitan Fire Brigade Board since 1899, Oakden and Ballantyne designed many similar fire stations including Riversdale Road, Camberwell (1903, demolished); Hoddle Street, Abbotsford (1917, recycled 1982); 193-199 William Street, Melbourne (1919, demolished); Glenhuntly Fire Station (1919); Bluff Road, Sandringham (1926); Brighton Road, St Kilda (1927); Union Road, Moonee Ponds (1927); Hampshire Road, Sunshine (1927), and Swanston Street, Carlton (1929).
Ivanhoe is the earliest surviving station known to be to Oakden and Ballantyne's design and thus marks the commencement of a style which was to develop for some 30 years.
IVANHOE METROPOLITAN FIRE BRIGADE STATION - Physical Description 1
The Fire Station is a symmetrical two storey, red brick building with rendered dressings, designed in a free classical revival style. The central section projects slightly, and originally housed the fire trucks. The roof is hipped and slated with terracotta ridge cappings. The first floor, containing residential accommodation, is articulated by red brick piers, banded in imitation of rustication, with rendered moulded cappings and a classical modillioned cornice. The words 'Metropolitan Fire Brigade' are inscribed in raised lettering above the ground floor cornice. The recessed first floor verandahs at each end of the building have cast iron balustrading. Windows are variously multi-paned double-hung sashes, and casements with multi-paned highlights.