What is significant?
The former Fairfield Hospital opened in 1904 as the Queen's Memorial Infectious Diseases Hospital, funded by money raised to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, and was the first purpose -built, centralised isolation hospital for the treatment of infectious diseases in the State. The buildings, many of them in a consistent Federation style in red brick with terra cotta tile roofs, were constructed between 1900 and 1994 on a 22-acre site on the bank of the Yarra River.The hospital's name was changed to Fairfield Hospital in 1948. The hospital closed in 1996 and the southern part of the site was reserved for the construction of the Victorian Institute of Forensic Psychiatry. The northern part of the site was sold to the Northern Metropolitan Institute of TAFE. A section of land to the east of the present Victorian Institute of Forensic Psychiatry has been gazetted as a Public Park and Memorial Garden (containing the AIDS Garden) under the supervision of the Northern Metropolitan Institute of TAFE as the Committee of Management.
How is it significant?
The former Fairfield Hospital is architecturally,aesthetically, historically and socially significant to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The former Fairfield Hospital is architecturally significant as being among the best examples of hospital architecture in Australia in the period 1900-49, and demonstrates changes in hospital design in response to developments in infection control and treatment from the first decades of this century.
The former Fairfield Hospital is architecturally significant for its early, rare and visually distinctive core of Federation style buildings designed by Clegg, Kell and Miller.
The former Fairfield Hospital is architecturally significant as the most comprehensive hospital complex design carried out by Anketell and Kingsley Henderson who were the state's most prominent commercial and hospital architects in the early twentieth century and whose work was influential in hospital design.
The former Fairfield Hospital is architecturally significant for the Modernist F VG. Scholes building and the Ambulance Garage, both designed by the prominent Public Works Department Chief Architect, Percy Everett.
The former Fairfield Hospital is architecturally significant for individual notable elements within the complex such as the formed fibrous plaster sheet ceilings seen in the 1900-03 buildings.
The former Fairfield Hospital is historically significant as the first and only purpose-designed and built infectious diseases hospital in Australia.
The former Fairfield Hospital is historically and socially significant as an institution responsive to the needs of patients during epidemics of infectious diseases for almost 100 years as it developed from isolation hospital to internationally recognised research and treatment centre. Its innovative responses to the challenge of caring for HIV/AIDS patients and their families from 1983 to 1996 included the establishment of the AIDS garden in 1988.
The former Fairfield Hospital garden is aesthetically significant as an example of the influence of the work of pioneering landscape gardener William Guilfoyle.
The former Fairfield Hospital is aesthetically significant for its mature and exotic vegetation, including fine mature specimens of Cedrus deodara, Eucalyptus cladocalyx and rare trees such as Ficus palmata.