The Good Hope Quartz Gold Mining Precinct consists of the remains of two crushing batteries: the Good Hope battery (remains of three 4-head stamp batteries, horizontal engine, and a Cornish boiler), and the Good Hope Consolidated battery (remains of portable steam engine and one 5-head iron framed stamping battery). The Good Hope Battery, which was installed in 1865, and has collapsed but has not been significantly scavenged. The other battery was installed in 1910 and still stands. Both batteries are associated with mine workings.
How is it significant?
The Good Hope Quartz Gold Mining Precinct is of historical and scientific importance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The Good Hope Quartz Gold Mining Precinct is historically and scientifically important as a characteristic and well preserved example of an important form of gold mining. The Good Hope battery is one of the oldest more-or-less intact batteries surviving in the State. Gold mining sites are of crucial importance for the pivotal role they have played since 1851 in the development of Victoria. As well as being a significant producer of Victoria's nineteenth century wealth, with its intensive use of machinery, played an important role in the development of Victorian manufacturing industry. The abandoned mining machinery at the Good Hope Quartz Gold Mining Precinct is historically important for its evocation of the adventurousness, hardship, and isolation that was part of mining life in the high country areas of the State.
The Good Hope Quartz Gold Mining Precinct is archaeologically important for its potential to yield artefacts and evidence which will be able to provide significant information about the technological history of gold mining.