The former Hurstbridge substation illustrates the electrification of the railway line from Eltham in 1926, the inadequecy of the mains supply then and the technology used to provide the line with its own dependable power supply in 1929. This structure is also the only example of a 1920s industrial building in the Shire of Eltham. The main street heart of Hurstbridge is characterised by its early 20th century streetscape, with the southern end being arranged about the Railway Station (openend in 1912).
BASIS OF SIGNIFICANCE:
ILLUSTRATION OF THE THEMES
DEGREE OF SIGNIFICANCE LOCAL SIGNIFICANCE
EXTENT OF SIGNIFICANCE:
ENTIRE BUILDING INSIDE AND OUT AND SITES TO A RADIUS OF 25 METRES