Fleming Park at 47-51 Albert Street, Brunswick East, is significant.
The following aspects of Fleming Park are significant:
. Use of the park for a range of active and passive recreational purposes
. The boundary alignment of the park, layout of the oval and surviving paths.
. The stone wall along the southern boundary on Albert Street, the low rock edging along the Cross Street boundary, and stone walling of mixed heights along the Victoria Street boundary.
. The mature trees along the southern, Albert Street boundary and in the southern part of the park including 18 English Elm (Ulmus procera), one Sugar Gum (Eucalyptus cladocalyx), one Bhutan Cypress (Cupressus torulosa), and one Canary Island Date Palm (Phoenix canariensis) on northern side of the oval.
. Fleming Park Community Hall, c.1919.
. The original section of the Brunswick East Bocce Association club house.
. The Brunswick Bowling Club building, core structure (not subsequent additions, including the Moreland Lacrosse Club building at the rear).
. The original bowling green to the west of the Community Hall as shown on the 1945 aerial photograph.
. The Sir Vivian Adams Pavilion, dating from 1937.
. The older style Brunswick City Council park seats.
Recent buildings, and additions and alterations to the early- to mid-twentieth century buildings, are not significant.
How is it significant?
Fleming Park is of local historic, representative and aesthetic significance to the City of Moreland. It also has potential social significance for the local City of Moreland community.
Why is it significant?
Fleming Park is historically significant as one of the earliest parks created in Brunswick during the early part of the twentieth century following pressure from residents' associations for public open space. The earliest park to be set aside was Brunswick Park, in West Brunswick, in 1905. Community pressure for similar provision of open space in East Brunswick contributed to a decision by Council in 1907 on the purchase of land that would become Fleming and Methven parks. Land for Fleming Park was acquired in 1913, development commenced in 1917, and Fleming Park (and the Bowling Club) officially opened in 1919. (Criterion A)
Fleming Park, like Methven Park and other parks in Brunswick, exemplifies a pattern of park-making in Brunswick on land with layers of previous uses; for farming, then quarrying, then a tip (land fill) before being transformed into open space in the early part of the twentieth century. (Criterion A)
With long associations with local sporting groups and local communities who use the park in many ways, Fleming Park forms part of the cultural heritage of the local community and contributes significantly to the heritage character and amenity of the local neighbourhood. (Criterion A)
Fleming Park remains as important evidence of the proactive lead of early local resident associations and the town council in the drive to create public open space for Brunswick. (Criterion A)
Fleming Park is significant as a representative example of the planning and layout of early parks in Brunswick in the early twentieth century for a mix of active and passive recreational uses. With other significant parks created in Brunswick during the same period, including Brunswick Park and Methven Park, Fleming Park retains the signature features of these early parks - playing field, space for sporting clubs, garden areas, and elm planting. (Criterion D)
Aesthetically, the mature trees that define the boundary of the park and help enclose the open recreation areas are integral features of the park's historic landscape character, which is enhanced by later phases of planting of introduced deciduous and evergreen trees and native Australian trees. Important mature trees include the large English Elms, London Plane, Sugar Gum and Canary Island Date Palm. (Criterion E)
As a well-used local community park for a range of long-standing and continuing active and passive recreational purposes, Fleming Park has potential to be significant for social and/or cultural reasons. (Criterion G)