Brunswick East Primary School, built in 1892-93, is one of a small group of sixteen large late 19th century schools which displayed a move away from Gothic-influenced design which had dominated government schools until 1885. Schools in this group incorporate variously Flemish, English Queen Anne, Romanesque and Aesthetic Movement influences.
The 1922 additions, which almost doubled the capacity of the school, indicate the rapid development of the surrounding area, in part due to the development of the Stewart Street returned serviceman's estate after World War One.
BRUNSWICK EAST STATE SCHOOL NO. 3179 - Physical Description 1
Brunswick East Primary School is a two storey bichrome brick building, originally L-shaped in plan. Large bays of multi-paned timber-framed double-hung sash windows with fixed highlights have rendered lintels and sills, and sit between corbelled chimney breasts which read as piers. Conical iron ventilators an red brick chimneys with rendered corniced tops penetrate the hipped and gabled terracotta tiled roofs. Gabled bays sit above rendered arches which surround smaller groups of timber-framed windows. A tiled gabled timber-framed portico sits above the main entrance, which has terracotta nailhead diaperwork. Beneath these windows are narrow arched windows with brick head mouldings and rendered sills.
Apparently only the south elevation has original windows, and most windows have been enlarged and their head dressings refaced; this is not obvious.
Key Architectural Elements: two storey face red brick building with rendered dressings
gabled terracotta tiled roofs with unusual terracotta gable-end decoration
multi-paned timber-framed double-hung sash windows