Bindley House was constructed in c.1862 for the surgeon, Dr Frank Lane Bindley, who was a prominent member of the early community of Kilmore. A surgeon in Kent for four years before his arrival in Australia, he was involved with the Wesleyan Methodist Church, the hospital and the library committee in Kilmore from the late 1850s. He died in 1870 at the age of 40.
Kilmore developed as a town in the centre of a large wheat growing and pastoral area, particularly after the discovery of gold in the region in the 1850s. By the time it was proclaimed a municipality in 1856, Kilmore was established as an important town on the route to the diggings to the north and for travellers on the highway to inland regions. As a result, substantial buildings were erected from the late 1850s and through the 1860s.
Bindley House is a classically derived, brick building with hip slate roof and return verandah, which terminates in symmetrical wings at the rear. A substantial bluestone lower ground floor is located at the rear and a bluestone retaining wall supports the front verandah. Distinctive detailing includes panelled timber verandah columns with circle and arch motifs, and a keyhole valance between supports; heavily corniced, stuccoed chimneys with arcaded shafts and paned glazed French doors which lead to the verandah.
How is it significant?
Bindley House, Kilmore is of architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
Bindley House, Kilmore is of architectural significance as a large, classically derived house which incorporates distinctive features such as the unusually patterned timber verandah supports, chimney detailing and early wallpaper in the south-west room.
Bindley House is of historical significance for its association with the early development of the inland town of Kilmore and for its association with the original owner, prominent Kilmore resident and surgeon, Dr F. L. Bindley.