Whitburgh Cottage was erected in 1853-57 for William Smeaton, a local coachbuilder and blacksmith.
The house remained in Smeaton family ownership for 113 years. The cottage is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Kilmore, an important early inland town in Victoria. The cottage epitomizes early cottage design with a simple double fronted composition, hipped roof and constructed of local materials, in thick case bluestone. The property is now owned by the Kilmore Shire Council and is now run as a museum. It is located in Piper Street and is an important part of an historic precinct.