The house and farm complex known as Wilandra at 120-130 Tuckers Road Clyde (Crown Allotment 55, Parish of Cranbourne), including the house, constructed in the 1880s, the form of the front garden, in particular the original carriage circle and the mature Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla) in the circular drive. The form of the original carriage drive from Tuckers Road is of contributory significance.
The outbuildings and the interiors of the house are not significant.
How is it significant?
The property is of local historic and aesthetic significance to the City of Casey.
Why is it significant?
The property is of historic significance as a prominent rural property in the Cranbourne/Clyde district. The house is a substantial example of a Victorian -Italianate building in this part of Victoria and has long and historically important associations with the development of agriculture in the district. (Criterion A)
Wilandra is aesthetically significant as a prominent example of a late Victorian Italianate house in the district. it displays architectural features typical of suburban villas of this period. In particular, the Hawthorn brick walls and expansive hipped roof, the pair of bay windows in the front elevation of the house and the encompassing verandah. The sympathetic and replica form and details of the 1980s additions is of no significance. (Criterion E)
The prominent Norfolk Island Pine in the centre of the original circular drive is a prominent and important feature of the property. The original form of the carriage drive from Tuckers Road si a landscape feature of contributory heritage significance to the property. (Criterion E)
Wilandra at 130 Tuckers Road, Clyde is a substantial red brick villa of a late Victorian – Italianate design, probably designed between 1885 and 1895. It has been substantially renovated and received extensive sympathetic additions as a result of a major construction campaign from 1986.
The roof is a hipped form clad in corrugated galvanised iron (or corrugated zincalum) with two prominent bay windows to the front (north) elevation. A large projecting verandah is constructed across three elevations (east, north and west) with projections coinciding with the bay windows.
The house is sited on a rise above Tuckers Road and is concealed from the road by vegetation. The approach to the house is now from the south to the rear of the house, but was originally served by a grand entry culminating in a circular drive at the front (north) elevation of the house. A substantial Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla) was planted in the centre of the circular drive and now dominates the vegetation on the property.
Like many properties in this district there are large avenues of eucalypts and cypresses planted along boundary and fence lines away from the house.