Built in 1858 for William Mortimer by Samuel Cliff of Collingwood, the three-storey Royal Saxon Hotel is of significance as one of Melbourne's earliest surviving and continuously occupied hotels. It is one of only two 1850s hotels within central Melbourne to have survived with a relatively original exterior. Of bluestone and brick construction, this three-storey Victorian Regency style hotel building has an elegantly simple and symmetrical composition. A rare and distinctive feature is the pitched carriage lane off Elizabeth Street over which the first and second floors of the hotel have been constructed.
Classified: 'Regional' 05/06/1968
Revised: 'State' 12/12/1990