Queen's Bridge replaced an earlier timber footbridge erected in 1861, known as Falls Bridge. The present structure, named after Queen Victoria and designed by Mr Rampart, opened in 1889. Checci and Catani of the Public Works Department prepared the detail designs and the bridge was constructed by David Munro, who also erected Princes Bridge and was a prominent contractor and speculator during the boom period.
Queen's Bridge is one of Melbourne's oldest bridges. It spans the river in one graceful array which is supported on magnificent iron piers. These piers are the bridge's distinctive feature. They resemble a row of massive submerged Doric columns joined together by semi-circular arches. The long balustrade and cornice moulding across the bridge contrast with this massive sub-structure and are notable elements.
Queen's Bridge is intact and in good condition.