An important, and for Melbourne, an early example of transitional Modern Gothic/Queen Anne design, built in 1896, possibly by John Beswicke. The facade is asymmetrical, but the larger half-timbered gable and cantilevered banked window on the south side is balanced by the polygonal corner tower and candle snuffer roof on the north. The Modern Gothic is suggested by the depressed pointed arches to main openings, and engaged colonettes at the porch entrance. The chimneys have vertical brick banding in the manner of Henry Kemp.
The staircase, with its diagonally boarded soffit and the great stained glass window signed by W. Montgomery, are the most impressive internal features, and the main entry hall, despite some modifications, retains ornate fibrous plaster ceilings.