Fire Station No 3 was designed by Cedric Haese Ballantyne and built 1927-29 in a late Edwardian Baroque manner. It is still functioning, its accommodation occupied, is in very good condition and is remarkably intact and unaltered. Other than Eastern Hill, it is probably the largest Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) Station. It has state historical significance as the representative embodiment of the inimitable work practices and way of life of the MFB and particularly of the period 1928-50. It has state level architectural significance as a characteristic and largest work of the prolific designer of MFB fire stations, C H Ballantyne (1876-1957) and an excellent representative example of this important building type.
File Note: Converted to apartments 2000,