The Canterbury, built in 1914 (extended 1919) and designed by prolific notable architects Tompkins & Tompkins, is of historic and architectual importance at State level.
The Canterbury is of historical importance as one of the earliest surviving examples of a block of flats in Victoria. It was the precursor of a new residential building type which was to become dominant in St Kilda, and is a marker of the beginnings of high density and elevated living in Melbourne.
The Canterbury is of architectural and aesthetic importance for its idiosyncratic and impressive design. A number of Art and Crafts influenced stylistic features are intergrated into abstracted and novel form, recognisably residential but also showing large city building features, especially the vertical emphasis, capped by a domed tower. It is a rare example of domestic/residential work by the Tompkin Brothers, who generally specialised in large comercial works.