Situated at the eastern end of a 50 acre site in Port Melbourne, the Administration building for General Motors Holden's Limited is a substantially unaltered example of a formally planned two-storey office complex of the 1930s. Designed by a team of four (L H Hartnett, Managing Director; E J L Gibson, Construction Engineer; J S Storey, Director of Engineering and N A Pointer, Equipment Engineer) and built in 1936, the reinforced concrete building with its central tower incorporates typical stylistic devices of the Moderne; incised lines and badge motifs to vertical surfaces between windows, layered geometric mouldings and stylised geometric detail to the central flagpole. The Social Centre built in 1948 and sited behind the main office block, is a late but intact example of the Moderne with a large hall complete with first floor stage, fine chromed canteen hardware details and two murals depicting the progress of transport, one of which is carried out in the manner of American industrial designer, Norman Bel Geddes.
This building is significant as evidence of the substantial commitment by General Motors Holden to the provision of well catered and comfortable service facilities for its employees. The entire General Motors Holden site has historical importance as the location for the production of the Holden motor car. The first car was completed in 1948 and the occasion was attended by the Prime Minister of Australia, Mr Ben Chifley. Classified: 02/11/1989.
File Note. Administration Building "Regional," Recreation Building "State."