The Maffra branch of the National Bank of Australasia, 64 Johnson Street, Maffra, was built in 1877. It is a well proportioned and simply detailed free standing commercial building of the period using coursed rusticated sandstone construction. The only other building designed by Leonard Terry of similar architectural expression is the Macarthur branch of the National Bank. Unlike the Macarthur branch the Maffra branch is symmetrical about the front door.
The main architectural expression of the building is the exterior treatment of the original bank building. The interior, although austerely detailed, is of importance when seen in the context of the exterior.
The building gains additional importance due to its regional significance to Gippsland.