A 160 metre brick tower is all that survives today of Richard Hodgson's shot tower and works at 94 Alexandra Parade. Hodgson erected the structure in 1882. Alfred Harber and Simon Hughes were the owners in 1887 and in 1896 Walter Coop purchased the premises. The tower is circular in plan and resembles a tall chimney. The walls are punctuated at regular intervals by semi-circular arched windows and decorative brick bands. There is a tiny pavillion at the top.
This is a fine example of a rare and distinctive building type and is probably the tallest shot tower in Australia. The brick shaft is a masterpiece of brick construction and is finely decorated around the openings and at various levels with polychrome patterns. The fine pavillion at the summit is a notable feature. The tower is a landmark of the surrounding area.
The tower is generally intact. The lower windows have been bricked up.