Built in 1897 and extended in 1913 the former Warburton Mechanics Institute is of historic significance at a local level as the last remaining and operating Mechanics Institute in the Upper Yarra Valley and as one of the oldest surviving buildings in the area. The Mechanics Institute is also of social significance because of its importance to the every day life of the residents of the Warburton area. The large weatherboard hall was in great demand for public meetings, social functions, church services, school classes and as temporary accommodation for visiting doctors. In 1913 the original Mechanics Institute was moved to the rear of the existing site, for use as a supper room, and a new large weatherboard hall, stage and library were added to the front of the site. The extended Mechanics Institute remains a focal point for community activities in the Upper Yarra Valley district.