b4918 Sanitarium Factory Complex Main St Warburton
Statement of Significance
Winner of RVIA Street Architecture Medal 1940 Designed by Architect Edward Billson and built by T R & L Cookram between 1936 and 1939, the Sanitarium Health Food company Factory and "Signs of the Times" Printing Works complex is a skilful assembly of contrasting geometric, brick-clad forms and an early example of the small group of non-residential buildings which successfully emulate European Modern architecture (particularly Dudok) and hence create a precedent for Australian post-war commercial and industrial architecture. By its unusually remote location and use, it expresses the Adventist Church; this rural location being a distinguishing aspect among the other buildings which had previously received the RVIA's Architecture Medal. Classification includes additions and alterations made up until c. 1985 by the architect.
Garden file G13039 included in this file.