The property was first settled by Andrew and Thomas Chirnside in 1842. It carried finewool Merinos and cattle and once the government had granted the Chirnside Borthers freehold, they set about building a 20-stand bluestone woolshed. The trustees of the Chirnside Estate put the property up for auction in 1906 and eventually, it was subdivided into farms with the homestead block being purchased in 1919 by the Barr Smith family.
The house is surrounded by a garden originally laid out in the 1870's and it remains one of Victoria's largest homestead gardens. It owes influences to compartmentalised garden design expressed in gardens such as 'Sissinghurst' and 'Hidcote' in England.