One of Victoria's most distinctive and delightful pieces of fantasy architecture built in 1892-1894 to the design of the Public Works Department, drawings by A J Macdonald. The facade has witch's hat turrets, based on Viollet-le-Duc's Carcasonne, flanking an Australo-Romanesque archway elaborately decorated with Australian flora and fauna by the Metung carver Albert Smith, delicate wrought iron gates and a pair of windows each of three vertical lights surmounted by a bizarre multi-lobed disc. The side elevations are enlivened above eave height by a symmetrical array of four dormers and two banded chimney stacks, while on the east there is also a rusticated arched portico. Internally, the court room is exceptionally fine, with a timber panelled roof on hammer beam arches, a stepped rear gallery, intact cedar-panelled bench, dock and jury-box, remarkable near-circular fireplace openings and fine stained glass windows, in which the figure of Justice placed in each of the multi-lobed lights is highly effective and original.
Classified: 'Regional' 16/4/1970